- This event has passed.
Shabbat Tzedek: Rabbi Dr. Shmuly Yanklowitz
Friday, January 14, 2022 - Saturday, January 15, 2022
Rabbi Dr. Shmuly Yanklowitz is the President & Dean of Valley Beit Midrash, Founder & President of Uri L’Tzedek, Founder & CEO of Shamayim: Jewish Animal Advocacy, and Founder & President of YATOM: The Jewish Foster & Adoption Network.
Rabbi Yanklowitz’s writings have appeared in outlets as diverse as the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, the Guardian, and the Atlantic among many other secular and religious publications. Rabbi Yanklowitz is a sought-after educator, social justice activist, and motivational speaker as well as the author of seventeen books on Jewish spirituality, social justice, and ethics.
Rabbi Shmuly earned a master’s degree from Harvard University in Leadership and Psychology, another master’s from Yeshiva University in Jewish Philosophy, and a doctorate from Columbia University in Moral Development and Epistemology. He obtained rabbinical ordination from the Yeshivat Chovevei Torah Rabbinical School and two additional, private ordinations in Israel. He has twice been named one of America’s Top Rabbis by Newsweek. In 2016, The Forward named Rabbi Shmuly one of The Most Inspiring Rabbis in America. In 2016, the Forward named Rav Shmuly one of the 50 most influential Jews. In the same year, Yanklowitz was selected for the Ariane de Rothschild Fellowship in Cross-Cultural Leadership and Innovative Entrepreneurship at the University of Cambridge.
Rabbi Shmuly, his wife Shoshana, and their four children live in Scottsdale, Arizona. They are also foster parents.
****Please RSVP for each session using its individualized Zoom Registration Link found below each bullet point.*****
Friday, January 14, 2022
- 6:15 pm Diverse Access Available: Erev Shabbat Service with Sermon: ‘How to See the Invisible Right before our Eyes: A Mystical Approach to Ethics’
- To view services online, visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa–kDS62rWmslFElxEAU4Q
- 7:30 pm-8:30 pm VIRTUAL ONLY: Post Oneg Study Session: ‘Judaism as a Call to Social Action: Developing our Unique Moral Voice’
Saturday, January 15, 2022
- 9:00 am-10:15 am VIRTUAL ONLY: Shabbat Morning Torah Study: B’shalach, Exod. 13:17-17:16: Mussar, Middot, & Social Change: Transforming our Inner World to Transform our Outer World!
Masks are required if you are attending on our campus. This is whether or not you are vaccinated. If you are unable to wear a mask during the entire time, and this includes when you are speaking, please register using the link below and join in via Zoom for the sake of your comfort and others.
- Friday, January 14, 2022
- Saturday, January 15, 2022
- Event Categories:
- Social Action, Special Events, Virtual Programming
- Beth Israel
9001 Towne Centre Drive
San Diego, CA 92122 United States + Google Map
- 858 535 1111