- This event has passed.
Adult Evening Book Club
Thursday, May 23 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
An event every month that begins at 7:00 pm on day Third of the month, repeating until Thursday, June 20, 2019
One event on Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 7:00 pm
One event on Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 7:00 pm
One event on Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 7:00 pm
One event on Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 7:00 pm
Monthly, usually on the 3rd Thursdays, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. 3rd Floor Rotunda Conference Room. No fee. See below for the scheduled meeting dates and books being read.
New members are always welcome, and no reservation is required. Most book club selections are available in libraries or through online booksellers used or in paperback.
- Sept. 27: The Weight of Ink by Rachel Kadish; An historical novel (600 pages) to be read over the summer. Presenter: Edith Kodmur
- Oct. 18: The German Girl; A young German Jew escapes the Nazis on board the MS Saint Louis. Her visa was correct and she entered Cuba and lives her live there. A story based on her life. Presenter: Eleanor Lazarus
- Nov. 15: A Bottle in the Gaza Sea a movie by Thierry Binisti available at Amazon Prime; Based on a novel by Israeli author Valerie Zenatti A story of a relation between an Israeli girl and a Gaza boy carried out via notes in a bottle tossed in the sea. We can obtain and watch the movie before the meeting either from the Library or from Amazon Prime. Presenter: Arnie Gass
- Dec. 20: Putting God Second – How to save Religion from Itself by Rabbi Donniel Hartman. Hartman maintains that there is a fundamental conflict in monotheism between God the Creator and God the Compassionate that leads to two “auto-immune” diseases God Infatuation and God Manipulation. He explains these diseases and suggests a way to overcome them. Presenter: John Urey
- Jan. 17: Memento Park by Mark Sarvas A personal memoir by an Hungarian Jewish artist centering on Art as a restorative for the soul.
- Feb. 21: Waking Lions” by Ayelen Gundar-Goshen
- Mar. 21: No Room for Small Dreams: Courage, Imagination, and the Making of Modern Israel by Simon Peres. His autobiographical memoir and last book.
Presenter: Milt Kodmur
- Apr. 18: The Two State Delusion by Padraig O’Malley. A discussion from several viewpoints of a Middle Eastern peace accord based on establishing two states, one Jewish and one Arab.
Presenter: Carol Levy
- May 23: The Plot Against America by Philip Roth Lindbergh was elected President in 1940, Hitler has won the war and America struggles with result..
Presented by Sharon Russakoff
- Jun 20